Saturday, February 24, 2007

Valentines day, ruby slippers and the Easter bunny

Let me tell you a little story. Grace is obsessed with The Wizard of Oz since she first saw it. She asked Santa for it months after she saw it, and got it. She asks to watch it every chance she can, tortures all her friends with Wizard of Oz fantasy play, and so on.

She was telling me that she was hoping the Easter Bunny would bring her ruby slippers for Easter. Some days I would spy her meditating while looking at the DVD cover, repeating, "I wish I had ruby slippers. I wish I had ruby slippers." Exaggeration? I'm not that clever.

On Valentines day, as we were almost ready to leave for daycare, she asked me, "How come the Easter bunny didn't come?" Evidently, she had her holidays a bit confused. I briefly explained and dropped her off at daycare.

Fortunately for me, I still had not picked up a Valentine for her. So, since I now realized she had hoped for her ruby slippers to arrive on Valentines day, I get to be her hero and buy her them. And we all lived happily ever after.

No comments: