Saturday, April 14, 2007

Local boy grows up and does good

One day, I was at my brother's house. I overheard him telling our sister that he wanted her to read a book he had that was written by a guy who had grown up in our home town. The story was set in our home town. Naturally, this piqued my interest.

So, I borrowed the book from him. I read it. I was expecting it to be lame and only interesting to people from our town. But, it wasn't lame. It took me back to things I had forgotten about. A trip down memory lane. And the main character brought to mind Holden Caufield. I thought he was decent example of an unreliable narrator.

Anyhow, that's way more technical than I intended this post to be. My point in bringing this up was that I had a chance to talk to this author the other day. It was cool. His name is John McNally. I took the opportunity to tell him where my brother and I guessed he lived to see if we got it right. (We did.) It's nice to hear that someone from my area is doing well.

No comments: